Sunday, November 21, 2010

How can I change my monitor settings to avoid dead pixels?

The right-hand 1/6 of my computer monitor is completely dead. All that's there is a solid chunk of blue pixels and when I move my mouse over there it disappears behind it. Is there a way I can set my monitor to only display on the 5/6 of my monitor that's working? Here's a drawing to illustrate what my monitor looks like:

___________

l_________llllll

l_________llllll%26lt;- Dead space

l_________llllll

l_________llllllHow can I change my monitor settings to avoid dead pixels?
The only thing I could see happening is changing alignment of screen, i.e. move display right, strech picture, move right strech, etc... It may work, it may not, never tried it.How can I change my monitor settings to avoid dead pixels?
It seemed like you can't. It is because even you will set a custom resolution your monitor will tend to squeeze the area to match all the screen. Changing your screen resolution will only affect the size of the pixels instead of ignoring a specific part of the monitor.
If your monitor is connected via DVI(wide white connector) this can happen. It once happened to me exactly the same way, only that it wasn't 1/6 of the screen. It was like 2 mm of pink pixels. Try switching to the old analog style connector(smaller blue connector) and see if that changes anything.



If the problem persists then you need to take the display to a service for warranty. The warranty usually covers for anything in excess of 3 dead pixels, witch is barely visible. In your case they will surely replace the unit.
Some LCDs let you move the image around, you would need to use the buttons on the screen itself to see if you can.



You might also be able to adjust where the screen is displayed using your video card drivers.



I think you should just buy a new monitor, they are so cheap nowadays that it makes no sense to keep a screen that broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment