Friday, November 19, 2010

50'; TV DVI Shows Desktop Too Big?

I have a 50'; wide screen Sony LCD TV that has DVI input. My PC only supports DVI and does not have a VGA output. When I connected my PC to the TV, the desktop is too large for the screen (Icons and start menu are off the screen). I have gone into PC settings and changed the pixels and tried changing the 32 bit colors to 16. I have used my TV remote to change the screen settings and also tried the button on the remote that usually changes the screen from ';Normal';, ';Full'; and ';Wide'; but it won't change anything. I know a lot about PC's but this one has stumped me. I expected the screen to display as a typical TV channel would (not like HD). I had previously had a laptop on another big screen with no problem. Any idea how to have my PC screen to display without it bleeding off of the screen?50'; TV DVI Shows Desktop Too Big?
You need to go into your Sony TV's settings menus and adjust the screen size from +2 overscan to ';Full Pixel.';



I had to do that on my 52-inch Sony Bravia to make my computer's image fit the screen edge-to-edge, and the results are spectacular: http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f347/a



EDITED TO ADD:



Sometimes the graphics card in a computer might have overscan set by default (which drives me nuts.). I've seen this in both nVidia and ATI video cards. If you have either an nVidia or ATI video card, you want to look in the driver software's menus and see if you can find a setting for overscan. Give that a shot, and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment